- To begin, ensure the box Allow customers to purchase this product when it's out of stock is checked in Shopify for each product and variant you want to enable for pre-order.
- In the main menu, click on Single Products.
- In the search field, type the name of the product you'd like to enable pre-order for then click the Search button.
- In the list of products, click the edit button (pencil icon) to the right of the product you'd like to enable pre-order for.
- From the list of variants, click on the variant you'd like to enable pre-order for and edit the settings as needed. Click the Save button when finished.
- If you'd like to enable pre-order for all variants, first click on a variant, edit the settings as appropriate, click the Copy Settings to All Variants button then click the Save button.
Explanation of Pre-order Settings
- Enable pre-order for this variant: Turn pre-order on or off for this variant.
- Use default settings: If selected, this product will use your Default Settings.
- Use custom settings: If selected, this product will use the custom settings you specify below (rather than your Default Settings.)
- Button Text: This text will replace the text that appears in your add to cart / buy button on product pages.
- Pre-order Message: This text will appear near your add to cart / buy button and is used to provide further information to shoppers about fulfillment and delivery timelines.
- Pre-order Message Placement: Controls the placement of the pre-order message. The pre-order message can appear above the add-to-cart button, below the add-to-cart button or only when the shopper's cursor hovers over the add-to-cart button.
Enable Inventory Management: Enables inventory management functions so you can show or hide the pre-order button based on product inventory.
- Use Shopify inventory management: Show or hide the pre-order button based on product inventory levels in Shopify.
- Method 1: When inventory in Shopify is above 0, your pre-order button will be shown. Once inventory reaches 0, your pre-order button will be disabled until inventory goes above 0.
- Method 2: When inventory in Shopify is above 0, your usual add-to-cart button will be shown. Once inventory drops below 0, your pre-order button will be shown.
- Make [ ] units available for pre-order: Limit the amount of inventory available for pre-order.
Specify inventory available for pre-order: Limit the amount of inventory that can be pre-ordered.
- Pre-Order Stock: Set the amount of inventory available for pre-order.
- Out of Stock Message: This message will be displayed below the add-to-cart button once pre-order stock reaches zero.
- Show Stock Remaining: Show the amount of pre-order stock remaining below the add-to-cart button.
- Stock Remaining Message: Customize the stock remaining message that will be displayed below the add-to-cart button when the show stock remaining option is enabled.
Product Image Badge
- Badge enabled: Show a pre-order badge above the product image.
- Badge text: Choose the text to be displayed in the pre-order badge. (10 characters or less is recommended.)
- Pre-order Start Date: The day on which your pre-order settings will take effect and pre-order will be enabled.
- Pre-order End Date: The day on which your pre-order settings will be disabled and pre-order will end.